16 February 2010

“Fajitas Hot Off the Griddle” Cooking Class in Boquete

"Just like becoming an expert in wine–you learn by drinking it, the best you can afford–you learn about great food by finding the best there is, whether simply or luxurious. Then you savor it, analyze it, and discuss it with your companions, and you compare it with other experiences." — Julia Child (Mastering the Art of French Cooking)


When I first received the email from Cora Kent about a “Fajita Cooking Class”, she would be hosting with Chef Renny Kranich it seemed like it would be a lot of fun and so I RSVP'd. Being Chicana (Mexican-American) I thought what the “heck” there might be something new to learn in this class and I would meet people. As it turned out, I had a GREAT time and learned some new things!

I must describe the evening mouthwatering menu - Beef Tenderloin Fajitas, Homemade Flour Tortillas, Pico de Gallo, Margaritas, and Nubes (nu-bes) you know Cream Puffs filled with crème pâtissière you know pastry cream.
Chef Renny Kranich was our wonderful instructor for the evening.
While Renny was whipping up Margaritas, preparing a Salsa for us to snack on, and chopping ingredients for Pico de Gallo, she gave us some pointers about the skills she has learned over the years in preparing this feast. Such as the difference in some hot peppers, taking the heat out of a Jalapeno pepper, or how to keep the juice and seeds from taking over when preparing Pico de Gallo, and the secret to keeping your fajitas juicy, steamy hot (the temperature) while still on a hot griddle. The beautiful colorful vegetables that Renny brought to the table in this cooking class enhanced the “Fajita” dinner making it into a magnificent feast. The aroma of spices from the cumin, oregano, garlic, and chili’s she added continued to sharpen my appetite and I could not wait to dive into a flour tortilla filled with beef, sweet peppers, onions, and Pico de Gallo. Another tidbit about Renny she makes homemade vinegar/pickled Jalapeno Peppers.
In between all of the Fajita prepping, Cora showed how to prepare her “Nubes.” She asked the group, “Who has ever made Cream Puffs?” I answered with an experience of mine preparing them at the age of sixteen in a high school home economics class. Excited about the thought of making them at home I asked my mother if I could. As it turned out when I tried baking them, something went wrong in the process and the cream puffs became a flat oily mess. Since then I have never attempted to prepare Cream Puffs but since watching Cora whip them up on the spot, I will give it another shot and know it will be a successful undertaking. Here are a few photographs of Cora’s Cream Puffs or “Nubes con Crema Patissiere.” I have to congratulate and express many thanks to both Cora and her husband David for being our wonderful and gracious hosts. It is not easy to put together a cooking class however; Cora and David are pros at being hosts and do it gracefully.
Chef Renny our great instructor for the evening did a wonderful job. A big bravo to Renny with many thanks for all the great suggestions, and for having an appetizing and delicious menu!
I am not providing recipes from Cora’s “Fajitas” cooking class instead I am making available to you the reader her blog site for you to peruse - which you will truly and most definitely enjoy. Here it is - http://www.boquetegourmet.com/category/my-kitchen
By the way I have signed up for the March cooking class when Cora is presenting “Sushi Madness” and I can’t wait.
Bon Appétit! "Learn to cook--try new recipes, learn from your mistakes, be fearless, and above all have fun!" — Julia Child (My Life in France)

Explore-Discover-Dream!

No comments: